Super glue safety
Remember that time your child got into the shaving cream or your makeup pouch, and before they were through wound up wearing the item over every square inch of their body? Now imagine they have a tube of superglue in their hands. Needless to say, you'll want to ensure this never happens.
Child safety while changing batteries
Changing batteries around children can be dangerous because of the potential for corrosive battery acid to fall into their eyes. One mother was changing the batteries of a light-up Mickey Mouse toy for her 3-year-old son. She unscrewed the case as her child stood underneath, looking up at her and watching intently. As she unscrewed the compartment, some powder from the corroded batteries fell into his eyes, and he started screaming. (Oct. 2010 Parents) Luckily, this time there was no permanent damage.
Child safety while changing light bulbs
The same goes for light bulbs. Newer fluorescent bulbs contain toxic chemicals such as mercury, and the longer, commercial ones can literally break with explosive force if bumped or mishandled, spraying shards of glass and chemicals everywhere. Parents also commonly drop everyday items, such as screwdrivers or the bulb itself while changing a light bulb, injuring children in the process. This is a common cause of serious eye injuries in kids. So whenever you're changing a light bulb, have children stay a safe distance away and never let them directly underneath you.
Toasters and Toaster Ovens
In addition to the potential fire hazard, children sometimes stick their hands inside a toaster and get them caught, which is not good if they also happened to push down on that alluring lever before sticking their hand inside. Kids may enjoy pushing the lever up and down, and this can pose a fire risk if something falls (or more commonly, your child decides to put something) inside. Always keep toasters unplugged when not in use.
Home exercise equipment
Around 25,000 children find themselves in the ER each year due to injuries from home exercise equipment. Treadmills are one of the most common culprits. In addition to the obvious hazards, the cords on exercise equipment are a common source of strangulation for children. Keep your gear in a locked cabinet or room and make sure it is unplugged when not in use. Try to treat exercise equipment almost like you would a pool, and make sure it is inaccessible to children.
In addition to the burn danger a hot iron can pose, many children are injured when this heavy chunk of metal sitting atop a high, often wobbly temporary table falls and clunks them on the head. It's a good idea not to leave irons out where a child could bump them, even if isn’t hot at the time.
Kids love to play with bungee cords, but unfortunately, some of them play by wrapping the bungee cord around their neck or creating other situations where they can pose a strangulation danger. Another more likely danger is that the cord snaps back or slips and sends the metal hook flying in their face, causing eye injuries or cuts.
The dangers of Q-tips
Do not let children use Q-tips to clean their ears. Though it may seem strange to imagine Q-tips as dangerous to stick in your ear, (many assume that's precisely what they were designed for) many a child has inserted them too far and stuck it straight through their eardrum, causing permanent hearing loss. Pediatricians recommend cleaning the ear with a wash cloth and warm water to deal with excessive wax, but caution parents never to stick items inside the ear to clean it. Also keep in mind that having some ear wax is healthy, as it serves to lubricate the eardrums and keep the ear from drying out.