Child Safety and Abuse Prevention Programs
Sponsored by Global Children’s Fund, a Non-Profit Group
CHILD CARE & SCHOOL PROGRAMS
Home Page * About Us * Child Safety Links * Child Safety Products * Library * Child Safety Blog
CHILDDEVELOPMENT & LIFE ISSUES
This is a non-profit site.All advertising revenues go toward furthering ourcharitable causes.Learn more
Contact Us * Copyright Permissions * Advertising & Sponsorship Information * Join the Fight
Child Abduction & Murder Facts & Statistics
Statistically speaking, abduction is an area parents worry about more than they should, but this doesn't mean it should be glossed over. Preventive efforts to teach kids stranger danger & abduction prevention techniques have foiled thousands upon thousands of would-be abductions.
1. Yearly around 750,000 children are reported missing in the United States, around 2,000 every day.
2. Most of these are runaways or kids taken by a family member.
3. Around 100 children are abducted and murdered in the U.S. each year. Around 60% of all child-murder abductions are at the hands of someone the child knows, not a stranger.
4. In around 75% of all murder-abductions, the child is believed to be dead within 3-6 hours of the abduction.
5. Nearly all murdered children are killed by a family member, most often a parent.
6. Most murdered children are not killed by pedophiles or sex-offenders, but by physical abusers, drug addicts, drug dealers, alcoholics, sadists (those who kill for thrill), and lain old otherwise ordinary people.
7. For every successful stranger abduction, there are many more failed attempts. It's hard to know the exact number, as many cases are disregarded by parents and never reported, and record keeping is spotty at best. But based on our own monitoring of news reports, we would estimate around 20 failed attempts for every successful abduction. So while only around 100 children are kidnapped and murdered each year (most by friends and family), countless others are tested! Make sure your child is prepared.
8. Women are the culprits in 68% of all child abduction cases worldwide.
9. Seven in ten children will walk away with a stranger despite being warned, according to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. This is because merely telling kids "don't talk to strangers" isn't enough. They need more substantial training in stranger danger.
More than just statistics . . .* 6 year old kidnapped, hanged in garageIt appears that she fell victim to a home invasion abduction, ... One thing is for certain: Home invasion abductions (cases where someone snatches a child ...
1. U.S. Department of Justice Statistics, 2007
4. National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
5. Collins, K.A., Nichols, C.A. (1999) “A decade of pediatric homicide: a retrospective study at the Medical University of South Carolina.” American Journal of Forensic Medical Pathology, 20, 169-172
6. Global Children’s Fund (2009) Child Risk, Castle Rock, Co: GCF Publishing
8. The Economist, "Money in Misery," 2-7-09, p. 219. NCMEC
Welcome to Our Facts & Statistics Center!
Please select a safety topic from the list below:
General child safetyChildhood HealthChild Abduction & MurderChild Abuse FactsFire SafetySafety Around the HomeAuto and Pedestrian SafetySchool SafetyRecreation Related SafetyTeen Risks
Child PovertyWildlife & Animal AttacksWeather & Natural DisastersParent: Keep up to date on important child safety issues on our child safety blog
+... Read about the stories behind the statistics. Visit True Child Safety for real life stories regarding child safety and health.